Partners | FAQ | EN | FR

J-1 visa programs

Woman walking down stairs in office building

Certain types of organizations are not permitted to host. These include:

  • Certain limited service/economy hotel properties (below 3-diamond rating)
  • Most home offices
  • Fast food franchises
  • Single-location retailers
  • Spas
  • Gyms


Additionally, CIEE cannot sponsor interns in the following occupations:

  • Maids or any other domestic work such as baby-sitting or housekeeping
  • Medical interns or interns involved in hands-on therapy, counseling, administering treatment or making diagnoses of medical, psychiatric or psychological conditions
  • Pharmacy positions directly related to dispensing medication to patients
  • Veterinary interns involved in hands-on care of animals
  • Pilots or crewmembers on ships or airplanes
  • Teachers or educational instructors
  • Temporary or staffing agency employees

Some observation internship programs in the sectors listed above can be accepted. Please consult us.

Please note that research scholars require a J-1 visa, category Research Scholar . However, certain research internships can be accepted within the  Intern category, namely if they entail teamwork, constant supervision and a true element of training.

For further information, please consult CIEE’s industry-specific guidelines