Partners | FAQ | EN | FR

J-1 visa programs

Woman walking down stairs in office building

Foreign students residing in France or in the UK can present their application to the American Consulate in Paris or London without any inconvenience.

Non-EU nationals who decide to apply in Paris or London will have to prove their ties to France or to the UK by providing documents such as: temporary or permanent residence permit, university letter confirming post-program registration, rent receipts, bills, employment contract, payslips, bank references, any other personal reference, return plane ticket to the country of residence or origin.

Your passport must be valid six months after the end date of your internship.

The U.S. consulate in Bern requires all foreign nationals (with the exception of EU residents) to apply from their country of origin. Please consult your local U.S. consulate’s website as rules and procedures change frequently.