Partners | FAQ | EN | FR

J-1 visa programs


In order to be eligible to participate in CIEE’s Trainee Program, you must :

  • Find a professional training that is related to your field of studies or professional experience. The training must allow you to apply your knowledge and develop or perfect your professional skills.
    *If you haven’t already found your employer, we are happy to help you free of charge. Contact us !
  • Be a national or foreign resident of France, Belgium, Switzerland, Italy, Luxembourg or the UK.
  • Be a graduate of a post-secondary institution in one of the above-listed countries with at least one year of full time work experience (internships included) outside the U.S. related to your field of training and diploma.


  • Hold a high school degree with five years of relevant work experience outside the US after your 18th birthday* and post-High School degree.

         *Experience as a freelance or business owner cannot be taken into account.

  • Be between the ages of 20 and 40 **
  • Have sufficient English language skills to function in a business setting
  • Be able to support yourself financially during the entire stay (minimum income of 1500 USD/month) or show equivalent financial guarantees (bank or family-related)
  • All PCT participants must observe a 2-year hiatus outside the United States before returning on another PCT program.

        You can also test your eligibility by using our sponsor’s tool.

* If you are still a student or if you graduated less than a year ago, you can apply for our « Internship USA » program.

** The age limit is around 40. Above this age limit, you’ll have to show supplementary documents proving your ties to your country of residence and convince the embassy of your intentions to return at the end of your program.