You have a vast choice of summer jobs in the U.S. However, the following types of jobs are prohibited within the framework of the J-1 Summer Work & Travel program :
- Domestic help positions in private U.S. households – e.g. au pair, servant, gardener or chauffeur
- Jobs in farming or ranching
- Jobs providing clinical care, medical services or involving patient contact, hands on therapy, counseling, administering treatment or making diagnoses of medical, psychiatric or psychological patients, or veterinary work involving hands-on care.
- Jobs for which another J-1 Visa category exists (e.g. Camp Counselor, Intern, etc.)
- Operators of pedicabs, rolling chairs, other passenger carrying vehicles for hire, and/or vehicles requiring a commercial driver’s license
- Teacher, teaching assistant or coach
- As ship or aircraft crew members, or as pilots, except as crew members on ships that travel only within domestic U.S. waters
- Jobs in factories or manufacturing
- Jobs as operators or drivers of vehicles or vessels for which drivers’ licenses are required
- Jobs on the gaming floor of casinos
- Jobs in the fisheries industry
An exhaustive list of prohibited jobs can be found in the CIEE website : Prohibited Jobs.
Please note that you need CIEE’s permission before changing jobs.