Certain types of organizations are not permitted to host. These include:
- Certain limited service/economy hotel properties (below 3-diamond rating)
- Most home offices
- Fast food franchises
- Single-location retailers
Additionally, CIEE cannot sponsor Trainees in the following occupations:
- Maids or any other domestic work such as baby-sitting or housekeeping
- Medical Trainees or trainees involved in hands-on therapy, counseling, administering treatment or making diagnoses of medical, psychiatric or psychological conditions
- Pharmacy positions directly related to dispensing medication to patients
- Veterinary Trainees involved in hands-on care of animals
- Pilots or crewmembers on ships or airplanes
- Teachers or educational instructors
- Temporary or staffing agency employees
Some observation training programs in the sectors listed above can be accepted. Please consult us.
Please note that research scholars require a J-1 visa, category Research Scholar. However, certain research training programs can be accepted within the Trainee category, namely if they entail teamwork, constant supervision and a true element of training.
For further information, please consult CIEE’s industry-specific guidelines