Partners | FAQ | EN | FR

J-1 visa programs


European Union nationals residing in France or in the UK can apply for their visa at the American Consulate in Paris or London.

We strongly recommend that participants from countries outside the European Union apply for their visa in their country of origin in order to optimize their chances of having their visa granted.

Non-EU nationals who decide to apply in their country of residence will have to prove their ties to that country by providing documents such as: temporary or permanent residence permit, rental contract, employment contract, payslips, bank references, personal references, return plane ticket to the country of residence or origin.

Your passport must be valid six months after the end date of your training.

The U.S. consulate in Bern requires all foreign nationals (with the exception of EU residents) to apply from their country of origin. Please consult your local U.S. consulate’s website as rules and procedures change frequently.