Partners | FAQ | EN | FR

J-1 visa programs

  • If you wish to gain practical, professional experience in the United States, whether your placement is paid or not, and regardless of its duration, the U.S. Department of State requires that you obtain a J-1 visa, category « Trainee ».
  • In order to obtain this visa, you must go through a sponsor organization. Your host company cannot be your sponsor unless it can deliver the certificate of eligibility entitled « DS-2019 ».
  • To give you access to J-1 visas, Parenthese has set up a partnership with CIEE (Council on International Educational Exchange), appointed official sponsor by the US Department of State. Together, Parenthese and CIEE allow you to legally undertake a structured program of practical training within a U.S. host company.
  • The official documents that are delivered to you – eligibility certificate DS-2019 and SEVIS fees receipt – will allow you to apply for the J-1 visa at an American Consulate.
  • Like any other international project, your training in the U.S. has to be prepared in advance.
  • PCT USA implies an administrative process that sometimes requires a final verification by the U.S. State Department or an additional verification of your employer. The average timeframe to obtain the DS-2019 is 3 weeks.